Nucet city has a relatively short history, the first official documentation taking place on February 2-nd., 1956, and the appearance on the map of the country is due to the existence of the ore riches from the area of the Băița locality, now part of the Nucet. Băița is attested in documents of the 1270 year, when iron was the first metal that led to the initiation of mining in Bihor Mountains.
After the withdrawal of the Tatars, in the territory there were fairs (Opidum) and cities (civitates) contained in Bihor County. In 1270 year, by the act of donation, the Beiuşene Domains are given to the Ladomar Monoslav Bishop. In 1452 years, the Beiuşene Domains , enter the independent principality of Transylvania, while Beiuș is raised to the rank of fair (Opidum). During this period, they intensified mining operations at the mine in Băița and in surroundings. In order to initiate the locals in mining, there were brought “hospites” (the “rudari”) Germans in Transylvania, and the documents recall the gold washings from Vaşcău. Besides iron, in Băița, there were exploited gold and silver, after 1541 year there is also exploiting copper.
In the middle of the XVII-th. century, there is mentioned a big economic stagnation, Bihorul becoming “pashalic” under theTurkish occupation, and Vaşcău and Băița mines were occupied. In 1692 year, with the release of Oradea under the Turkish occupation, the Vienna Court took measures for mining development in Băița and in 1726 year, there are retaken the explorations, under the state monopoly.
At the end of the XIX-th. century, the documents show a stagnation of mining at Băița. After 1900 year, the bismuth requirements have favored the resumption of mining activity at Băița. Along with bismuth ore, there is exploiting molybdenum ore, a metal, required by the metallurgy, for special steels .
In 1951 year, there were discovered rare ore deposits (uranium) in Bihor Mountains, at Băița by the “Expedition # 3” of the USSR Ministry of Geology. The Soviet-Romanian Kvartit company was founded in January 1952, which enhances rare metals exploration works in the region.
By the end of the Second World War, the number of employees of the Băița mining exploration, did not exceed the 800 number. After the end of World War II, due to internal and international changes, that have occurred since the years 1948 to 1950, in the area there appeared Russian specialists preparing a massive and intense exploitation of the Băița ore. The “Kvartal SAVROM” Company had been working 24 hours on 24 with a staff of 50 000-55 000 employees. In these conditions, the problem of accommodations of dozens of people who come from all over the country, and also from USSR, was particularly acute. In order to solve these problems, the small agricultural land which the locals were owning, was expropriated. On this land, there were built barracks, since 1952 year, as in 1956, when it was officially certified as a city, Nucet already had a population of 10 000 inhabitants.
The restriction of exploitation works, beginning with the 1957-1958 years, and because of the departure of Soviet repatriated citizens, has led to the depopulation of the locality, leaving in general, a local population, and some people who settled here and who came from neighboring localities.